(1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
firmly packed dark brown sugar
pure vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking
soda, cloves, and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the
butter and brown sugar in a large bowl
until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
Beat in the egg, molasses, and vanilla.
Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually
add the flour mixture, mi until just
incorporated (the dough will be soft).
- Shape the dough into two 1"-thick
disks and roll each between 2 sheets of
wax paper to 1⁄4" thick. Refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets
with parchment paper. Cut out cookies;
re-roll, chill and cut scraps as needed.
Place on the prepared baking sheets at
least 1" apart and chill for 10 minutes.
- Bake, rotating the pans halfway
through, until the cookies are set and
the edges are beginning to brown,
12 to 15 minutes. Let cool on the baking
sheets for 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.