My son is graduating from Elementary School today. Those of you who read me regularly know what an achievement that is, and how very far away that seemed six years ago, when all his therapists assured me that a child with autism and a limited vocabulary could be mainstreamed into public school with the proper support. They were right, and he's living proof that perseverance and patience can pay off big.
So today, let's all do a bit of bragging! Tell me what's great about your kids! Here are just a few of the reasons my kids are awesome:
- My daughter and I were talking about what it's going to be like having David at school with her again since he'll be in his first year of middle school next year when she's in her last. Of course, lots of people won't even know he's her brother, since they don't look alike at all, and Anna said "No, I like that. I like that they won't know he's my brother." I was a little taken aback, but she clarified. "It weeds out the jerks for me. If they're mean to David, I won't date them." She paused a moment, then added: "And I'll probably hit them, too."
- David regularly makes up his own parody songs. They frequently include the words "butt," "poop," and "bacon," and they never fail to make us laugh.
- Anna can do a perfectly straight one-handed cartwheel. She's also incredibly gifted in Math.
- David can sing the background music to any movie he's watched. Seriously. If you talk about a scene in the movie, he can sing the music behind it.
- Both my kids have big, kind hearts that they show on a regular basis to others around them. And they encourage others to be kind, as well.