Buying a house of your own can be an exhilarating experience. That was definitely true for Jennifer Nugent and her husband when they purchased an adorable blue house in the small town of Mooresville, IN.
"It had a lot of potential for us to add on," Nugent said. "We really, really wanted that house."
That is, until her children were always getting sick and had trouble sleeping through the night. Sure, kiddos fall ill occasionally, but this was puzzling for a couple of kids who were normally healthy and happy.
Worried about the state of their health, the Nugent parents felt helpless. But when a neighbor told them that the previous owner of their so-called dream house called the bathroom his "smoke shop," they knew they had to take matters into their own hands.
After purchasing a $50 methamphetamine test, Nugent was shocked to see that the house had three times the legal limit of meth levels in it. Once the drug is smoked, the toxic chemicals can stick to walls, carpets and even garments, causing home residents to become ill.
Properly decontaminating a home can cost tens of thousands of dollars, which is why some homeowners don't attempt to rid their walls of these dangerous chemicals. Sadly, leaving the home as is can lead to some very serious health issues for residents long-term, and children are especially vulnerable to the effects.
Nugent is pushing Indiana to change its laws by requiring real estate agents or homeowners to have meth tests done before a buyer even comes in to consider purchasing the home.
Unfortunately, the Nugent family's dream home turned out to be a nightmare. They took a huge financial hit when they decided to have it decontaminated and ultimately put back on the market.
To prevent yourself from making the same serious mistake they did when purchasing a home in Indiana, you can refer to the state's to determine whether or not your dream home is on the contaminated list.