For whatever reason, our phones usually end up somewhere near our pillow, plugged in and charging overnight for the day to come. Usually, we wake up, unplug our smart phones and our day continues on as normal. But the New York Police Department is warning up that every time we plug in our little babies, snuggled between our pillow and bed, we're literally one step away from setting the whole thing on fire.
The officers tweeted four pictures of pillows with holes burned into them after the cellphone underneath overheated and set fire.
However, firefighters have long warned of the dangers of sandwiching a charging phone between a pillow and a mattress. After one 15-year-old's bed burst into flames last year, David Berardesca, a fire chief from Hamden, Connecticut, told NBC: 'The cell phone was left on the bed. These devices need areas to be ventilated."
If you absolutely must keep your phone near you, he recommends leaving these types of devices on a hard surface so that the heat can dissipate. And when the choice is between buying a nightstand or risk losing our faces, we'll take nightstand please.
[via Daily Mail]