Get in shape and spend less! Here's how to reach your health goals without breaking the bank. Click through for great discounts, expert tips and $9,015 in prizes, including stylish workout wear, a weeklong stay at the Biggest Loser Resort, and much more. Starting on the date the prize appears, log on to WomansDay.com/Giveaways to enter for your chance to win!
1) (January 2, 2013) 10 readers will win a personalized yoga mat from MyCustomYogaMat.com. Value, $40.
2) Create a home gym for just $65: A yoga mat ($20), free weights ($20 for a set of 2) and resistance bands ($25) can provide a full-body workout for the same cost as just one month of membership at many gyms. Visit AceFitness.org and YouTube.com for a huge variety of videos to learn how to properly use the equipment.
3) TIP: Buy used! Visit CraigsList.org or a store such as Play It Again Sports to get up to 70% off on equipment ranging from tennis rackets to treadmills.
(January 3, 2013) One reader and a guest will win a week's stay at a Biggest Loser Resort of your choice (locations in Utah, California and New York). You'll receive group fitness training and nutrition classes and enjoy spa cuisine meals to get a jumpstart on your weight loss goals. Value, $4,590.
(January 6, 2013) 20 readers will win a set of resistance bands from Sports Authority. Value, $35.
Buy a used bicycle at a garage sale or ask your local police department when they're next auctioning off unclaimed bikes. If you buy one for as little as $50, then search for local bike trails on TrailLink.com, your workout is practically free!
1) (January 12, 2013) 10 readers will win a tote bag filled with 72 assorted KIND Bars and six pouches of KIND Healthy Grains. Value, $150.
2) TIP: Go online to lose
These weight loss websites offer free nutrition advice, calorie counters and support: FitDay.com, LiveStrong.com and SparkPeople.com.
3) TIP: Make a protein smoothie for less!
Blend frozen fruit, skim milk, ice and plain Greek yogurt at home and you'll save $3.30 off a store-bought smoothie.
4) TIP: Downsize Your Dinner
Serve your meal on a smaller plate for built-in portion control.
5) Save 20% off portion-controlled dinnerware, bowls and more at PrecisePortions.com. Enter WD2013 at checkout.
1) (January 15, 2013) 5 readers will win form-flattering capris and a tank top from Fila's Personal Performance Collection. Value, $115 per set.
2) TIP: Work out for free all month long!
If you sign up for four different gyms' free trials, you can work out for a month without spending a dime.
3) Gym fees can be negotiable: If you speak up about wanting to save, some health clubs may waive an initiation fee, or throw in free personal training sessions to convince you to join.
4) Some health centers will offer a less expensive rate—usually called a household rate—if you sign up with at least one other person you live with, which could mean a husband, child or roommate.
5) Great Deal: Go to GoldsGym.com/WD to get a special discounted enrollment fee of $39 (typically $99) and save 20% on membership dues ($500 for a year) for the length of your contract at participating Gold's Gyms nationwide. Offer is valid through January 31, 2013.
(January 31, 2013) 25 readers will win an Omron HJ-323U Pedometer. Value, $50.
SOURCES: Barbara Bushman, PhD, FACSM, editor, ACSM's Complete Guide to Fitness and Health. Leigh Crews, education director, QiGNITION. Ruth Frechman, MA, RD, CPT, author, The Food Is My Friend Diet. Michael Kaplan, MD, chief medical officer, The Center for Medical Weightloss. Sarah B. Krieger, MPH, RD, LD/N. Pamela Kufahl, editor-in-chief, Club Industry Magazine. Kerry Neville, MS, RD, founder, KLMN Nutrition Communications. Bonnie Taub-Dix, MA, RD, CDN, author, Read It Before You Eat It and blogger, BetterThanDieting.com.