Sorry arachnophobes, all your worst fears are about to come true.
Back in February, country artist and season 8 The Voice runner-up Meghan Linsey was startled awake by a stinging sensation on her face, according to People. After she got her bearings, she realized she was holding a dead brown recluse spider in her hand, which she says she must have killed in her sleep after it bit her.
What's a brown recluse? It's a venomous spider that tends to appear in the Midwest and the South, and it's considered one of the two most poisonous spiders in the world (the other being a black widow). Meghan recently shared photos of her swollen face on Instagram and told the horrifying tale of what happened after she was bit.
Warning: the following photos may be disturbing to some readers.
"It has been confirmed that I was bit by a brown recluse spider, one of two of the most poisonous spiders in the US," Meghan wrote in the caption on one of the photos. "I am still dealing with the wound on my face, but I finally found the right meds to control the nerve pain."
After the 31-year-old singer felt her face stinging from the wound, she placed the spider in a bag and immediately went to urgent care. Over the next nine days, her symptoms included "excruciating nerve pain in my face, muscle spasms, full body rash, [and] extreme swelling," according to her Instagram post.
"The swelling was the first thing, and then I ended up just having crazy, crazy symptoms," Meghan told People. "I had muscle spasms, then I had a body rash all over. They tell people to not look up things on WebMD, and I had looked up everything on WebMD and I had every symptom. Every day was another thing."
Meghan's path to recovery has taken much longer than expected. "I was supposed to be getting better, but I was getting worse," she told People. "Up until day nine, which is when the symptoms stopped happening and the necrosis started on my face."
Necrosis is essentially the death of tissue or cells in an organ due to a disease or injury. In Meghan's case, the rotting bite began to kill some of her skin cells, which left "a hole" on her face, she says. Her recovery process involved doing three sessions of an experimental hyperbaric chamber treatment; she's now using a wound-treating gel that can be placed under makeup.
Once half of the country duo Steel Magnolia, Meghan is also best known as a runner-up from season 8 of The Voice (in 2015). For now, it seems like the healing process is going well for the singer, and Meghan's thankful for that.
"I know I'm not out of the woods on this yet," she wrote. "But I am so incredibly grateful for my health and I will never take it for granted again. "