Serve these colorful frosted cookies at your Halloween party.
(2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp
pure vanilla extract
Skull and pumpkin cookie cutters
Royal icing, gel food coloring, and candy-coated sunflower seeds, for decorating
Jelly beans for serving plates (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until combined. Beat in egg, then vanilla. Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add flour mixture, mi just until incorporated.
- Roll dough between sheets of waxed paper or parchment paper to 1/8 inch thick. Refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Using floured cookie cutters, cut out cookies. Place on prepared sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Reroll, chill, and cut scraps. Bake, rotating the sheets halfway through, until cookies are lightly golden brown around edges, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on sheets 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
- Once cool, tint royal icing with desired colors and transfer half of each color to piping bags fitted with size 1.5 tips. Using a little water, loosen remaining icing to flood consistency and transfer to piping bags fitted with size 2 tips.
- For skulls: Outline each cookie with thicker icing, then fill in with flooding icing and let dry slightly. Decorate with additional royal icing colors and sunflower seeds as desired.
- For pumpkins: Outline each cookie with thicker icing; fill in with flooding icing and let dry slightly. Using royal icing, pipe straight lines or circles; then, using a toothpick, gently drag to create patterns. Serve on platters lined with jelly beans if desired.