This easy rhubarb and almond cake is the ultimate dessert for spring and summer.
fresh orange juice
plus 3/4 cup sugar
Oil, for the pan
rhubarb (about eight 9-inch stalks)
pure vanilla extract
pure almond extract
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place orange juice and 1/3 cup sugar in a large saucepan and cook on low until sugar melts, 2 to 3 minutes. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until mixture is syrupy, 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Oil a 9-inch square cake pan. Line bottom with parchment paper, then oil the parchment. Pour syrup into bottom of pan.
- Trim ends of rhubarb and cut evenly into 4 1/2-inch lengths. Arrange rhubarb, rounded side down, in a patchwork pattern.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, almond meal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and remaining 3/4 cup sugar in a large bowl on medium-high until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to medium and beat in eggs one at a time, then extracts. Reduce mixer speed to low and add flour mixture in three parts, alternating with buttermilk, beating just until incorporated.
- Spoon batter over rhubarb in pan. Bake until cake is light golden brown and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let cake cool for 15 minutes. Run a butter knife around edges of cake to loosen it from pan. Place a platter over the top of the pan and invert. Peel off parchment. Let cool 10 minutes more before serving.
PER SERVING 315 CALORIES, 14.5 G FAT (6.5 G SATURATED), 6 G PROTEIN, 235 MG SODIUM, 42 G CARB, 2 G FIBER
Tools you'll need: 9-inch square pan ($15, .com)