Sandwich ham slices between freshly baked biscuits for the ultimate brunch dish.
all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
freshly ground black pepper
very cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
extra-sharp Cheddar, coarsely grated
sliced cooked ham
scallions, thinly sliced
- Heat oven to 375°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper. Rub butter into flour mixture until it resembles fine crumbs; toss with dill and 3 ounce Cheddar. Using a fork, quickly fold buttermilk into flour mixture to make a shaggy dough.
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface and gently knead a few times to just bring together. Roll dough into a 3/4-inch-thick rectangle, fold in half, rotate 90 degrees, and repeat rolling, folding, and turning 4 more times. On the final turn, roll to 1/2 inch thick. Using a lightly floured 2 1/2-inch round cutter, cut out biscuits and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Place any scraps of dough on baking sheet. Brush tops with heavy cream and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until light golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Make horseradish cream: In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, pickle, tarragon, and horseradish.
- Make apricot mustard: In a medium bowl, combine jam, mustards, and scallions.
- Make sandwiches with ham, arugula, and sauces if desired.
Tools you'll need: Round cookie cutter ($5, )
HAM BISCUIT, PER SERVING 335 CALORIES, 17 G FAT (9.5 G SATURATED), 16 G PROTEIN, 1,415 MG SODIUM, 28 G CARB, 1 G FIBER
HORSERADISH CREAM, PER 1-TBSP SERVING 15 CALORIES, 1.5 G FAT (1 G SATURATED), 0 G PROTEIN, 45 MG SODIUM, 1 G CARB, 0 G FIBER
APRICOT MUSTARD, PER 1-TBSP SERVING 35 CALORIES, 0 G FAT (0 G SATURATED), 0 G PROTEIN, 75 MG SODIUM, 9 G CARB, 0 G FIBER