Lasagna is a crowd pleaser, but normally it's not practical for a weeknight, with too much prep and a long cooking time. Not so with quick lasagna, which takes less than half an hour to pull together. She kindly allowed us to reprint her recipe below. — Kim Walker
I've called this [almost] because while I got it done in 15 minutes, I was working really hard and the average cook would struggle. Most people should be able to get it done in 20 minutes though.
Feel free to use your own freshly made pasta or your favourite meat sauce instead of this super quick version.
In the excitement of making the lasagne, I forgot about my ingredient count and ended up with 6. Whoops. You could keep to 5 ingredients by skipping the butter and replacing it with a good drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
[almost] 15 minute lasagne
takes 15 minutes (if you're quick!)
500g (1lb) minced (ground) beef
4-6 tablespoons tomato paste
2 knobs butter
500g (1lb) full fat ricotta
3 handfuls grated parmesan cheese
3 large fresh lasagne sheets, cut into 1/3s
1. Preheat your over head grill on its highest setting and place a large fry pan (skillet) on a very high heat.
2. Add a little olive oil and the beef to the pan. Cook stirring every minute or so until the meat is no longer pink.
3. Meanwhile, combine ricotta and parmesan in a bowl.
4. Add the tomato paste and butter to the beef and stir well. Cook for another few minutes until the butter is melted and everything is hot.
5. Reduce the heat under the pan to medium. Remove 3/4 meat from the pan and smooth the remaining meat over the base.
6. Cover with 3 of the lasagne sheet 1/3s. Then add more meat (1/4). Layer with more lasagne. Then layer with more meat (1/4) and grate over the parmesan. Layer with the remaining 3 lasagne sheet 1/3s then cover with the remaining meat (1/4).
7. Scoop ricotta mixture over the top to cover then grate more parmesan over.
8. Place under the hot grill for about 5 minutes or until the top is golden brown and everything is hot. If you have time let is stand for a few minutes before serving.